Monday, September 6, 2010

Picking Peaches

We LOVE peaches.
I think they are a beautiful fruit.
I don't love the fuzz that's on the outside of them, but really, if you peel the skin off, they are an amazing fruit!
Last year I canned and canned a ton of peaches and didn't like how any of them turned out.
They were mushy and soft and nobody wanted to eat them.
So this year I decided we wouldn't get as many, and I would just slice and freeze.
It was a great idea!

Here in ID, we have a "church orchard" where you can go and donate your time by picking for the cannery for an hour or two, and what falls on the ground, you are free to take home.
Well, when you are picking with little kids, a peach or two is bound to fall to the ground, so we came home with a box full of treasures!

everyone needed a chance to climb the ladder and pick from the top of the tree

Mitchell has decided he will NOT be left out of anything...


Lauren looked like a pro at the top!

And Mitch screamed when it was time to come back down.
There was a "Debbie Downer" there telling us that the church didn't want little kids at the top of the ladders.
Made sense, right?
Liability, right?
He was the only one that said anything to us, so we had to disappoint our kids and tell them they could no longer climb to the top.
When we got home, we check the website and no where does it say anything about kids on ladders.
In fact, there is a picture of a kid on a ladder.
Why can't people just mind their own business!

Daddy and Lou dumping their load for the cannery!
We love to pick fruit. It's such a fun, free family activity.
We can't wait to go get apples next week!

No comments: